First off you guys all rock!!! So many of you stepped up to the plate in regards to the weekly discussion posts. Thank you oh so much. LOL I'm a very bad mod this semester. School and work have been kicking my butt.
Anyhow all kudos aside I had a small announcement to make. Quite a few of you noted in the little poll I put up that you would like to have a cake decorating contest. Now I think this is an exciting idea which we should definitely do. As such here we go!
AoC LJ Fan's First Cake Decorating Contest
This first one is going to be really simple but here are the main ground rules.
* You may not buy the cake from any where (duh!). To this affect it will be required that you take several pictures (or video) of yourself/your partner making the cake. This is a bit annoying I know but I have no real way to judge the validity of your entries without something like this in place.
* The cake must be mostly edible like a CCC's cake. I am all for using power tools and doing super funking things but if they can make the cakes edible (and tasty!) so can we.
* I am alright with cakes being replicas of ones seen on AoC, BUT
you MAY NOT
claim the idea as your own, sell it, or do anything funking with it. I'm not really expecting this to be a problem but thought I should mention it anyhow. Hopefully the crew at CCC won't mind if anyone copies them. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that.
* Depending on the number of entries we may have a semi-finalist and finalist round. Won't know tell I get the entries.
* In an effort to keep to playing field even as possible you must do all of the work at home. That means any of you pros out there can only use your home kitchen and culinary items that a layperson could purchase. I do not expect people to make things like fondant but you can if you want. Pre-made cake decorations are highly discouraged though. (Like the little sugar ones int he supermarket).
* I shouldn't have to mention this but I will anyhow, all cakes must be kid friendly. By that I mean nothing lewd. I cannot guarantee that only adults read this list and it is not worth it to me to risk anything scandalous being associated with this list. We are a fan listing and it would be horrible if our poor behavior somehow reflected on the CCC crew.
* Absolutely NO photoshopping. NONE. Not even to make the background prettier.
I'm giving people a whole month to come up with an idea, create and document the decorating, and get that footage to me. You are allowed up to four pictures
to show your creation from all sides and vantage points. Video is allowed in addition to, but NOT
instead of the pictures. You must submit at least one photo for judging. You may also write up a short blurb about what inspired your cake and what you used to create it. I suggest people keep in mind lighting and the like for what shows up well on film. It is not my fault if your cake does not photograph well. Your shots/video of the creation for verification are not included in those four photos. You must
have four additional
shots/quick video blurbs of the creation. (more is okay if you wanna show off your skills. I may even post the winning cake(s) creation photos if people want.) Please remember I will be posting these picture online, if you don't want people to see your face - don't show it. Judging of the entries will be done by the list as a whole. All entries are to be sent to me at seorgia at gmail dot com with the heading AoC Fan Contest Entry
. If you do not get a letter back from me stating that I received your entry and thanking you within two days, either resend or post a note to the community and we will talk. Everyone who enters will receive a little certificate to commemorate this contest.
First Place: $15 GC to Amazon.com
Second Place: $10 GC to Amazon.com
Third Place: $5 GC to Amazon.com
ALL CONTEST ENTRIES MUST BE SENT TO ME NO LATER THEN MIDNIGHT MAY 20TH, 2007 EST.
SEORGIA AT GMAIL DOT COM
I should have the entries up by May 23 and judging will start from there and go until we have our winners.
So what do you guys think? Any comments or suggestions? If there is a change in the rules for some reason I will post a separate note on the community. I'm a little worried about the prizes as I cannot remember or find what LJ's policy is about such things. If there is a problem I'll think of something else. Otherwise get to baking and decorating people!
EDIT: Just to clarify there is no theme. Be as creative as you want. If you want to mimic an CCC's cake or another professional , I think it will be okay. If you want to do something original by all means do! Maybe next time I'll do a theme but for starters I want to keep it as open as possible. Have fun!